Sunday, August 22, 2010

Just a little distraction

I just couldn't help myself, the Roseville has been like an itch that needed to be scratched. I'm sure a little test block will suffice at this stage.
Background decisions aren't hard, it was between these two spots, the grey is chalk and the other is water spots. I put a few pieces on for auditioning.
Water spots won but the chalk will definitely be for the next quilt on the list. I love spot fabric so much that I even made a whole quilt with all spots and dots which just made me love them more. You can see it here.
I think I should go and stand in the corner, I feel like the kid in class that got caught doing something other than what I should be. 
I put my blinkers back on for the Stars and Sprigs. Happily the stems are now all down for border number two.
Normally I'm a die hard needle turner with a toothpick chaser but I've mixed it up for this quilt. I'm using Floriani stitch and wash tearaway to prep my leaves and buds. It's a fusible and used with a cool iron, I can slit the backs and get the tearaway out after washing. The fusible in it is water soluble but the tearaway has never dissolved away in any tests I've done.
I've used a glue pen to turn the seam allowances down. I wouldn't use this method for anything that wasn't a simple shape or needed super thin points or little curves such as in the Roseville.
After this quilt I think I'll be going back to needleturn because the less prep the better. I like to get to the stitching part as soon as I can.

11 comments:

  1. Yay Janet!! You naughty girl! Glad that you've started stitching the Roseville. It looks gorgeous. Now you can do the second one - heh heh heh.. Cheers, Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited for you Janet... it's like sneaking in a few cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the irrestible power of the Roseville! You are so quick, you'll probably have both quilts done in no time. (Love seeing your colorful Bubble Blowout quilt too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be another fantastic quilt. Love your choice of background. Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi hi, I want to laugh when I read you saying that you will go back to the needleturn method!As you say, "the less prep the better"... You are really motivating me to practise my needleturn method in order to avoid all the long preparation (and go as fast as you?! ...impossible;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you choice of background fabric even though I like both..know what you mean about all the prep...can take forever..
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo love the background. I was eyeballing a dot fabric just like that water spots the other day :0) I'm with you, prep work is tedious though sometimes necessary.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! Your work is sooooo cheerful! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. WELCOME to RA!!! ; ) No need to stand in the corner. Your colors, fabrics and stitching are ALL so...sew amazing. Glad to have you here, Janet!!! Thanks for the dose of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the backgrounds, the dots add alot of vitality to the quilt (not that it needs more energy - ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the dots you chose for Roseville. No need to stand in the corner..you had to test the thread to make sure it would hold right? ;)
    Your Stars and Sprigs border should go pretty fast with all of your pieces prepped so nicely?

    ReplyDelete