Sunday, May 8, 2011

Update on The Bizzy Bird Farm





Just thought I would let you know that I have outlined the entire Roseville quilt and have the binding on. I have used exactly 400 yards of quilting thread, had about 10 inches left on the spool when I finished hand quilting. I'm planning on doing a circle type stencil between the blocks and panels, starting on this tonight. It just needs something more to fill in the space. I will show a block later of what I chose to quilt. Oh yes, I did count the circles, I have 630. I sure did appreciate the help of my Mother and friends with all the circle basting that was done for me. Just in case you were wondering, I use a 23" quilting hoop, switch to a 11" X 17" ?? oval hoop on the borders, YLI quilting thread, one thimble and have 4 very callus & sore fingers. I use a emery board to file away the roughness on my fingers to keep it from snagging the threads and use a medicated hand cream, Gold Bond with Aloe every night when I go to bed (yes I do sleep). LOL

8 comments:

  1. I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog. I love your choice of fabrics and colors you use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for handquilting your masterpiece Julee! Do you have a deadline? Didn't know that there are 630 circles! Yikes! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be amazing when it's finished.Now wher can I recruit some circle helpers??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! That's a lot of thread... and circles! I hand quilt too... I need to be better about the hand cream ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness...you're brezzing right through the quilting! It looks fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about your quilting deadline, Julee, and wondering if there was any chance you were going to make it, but you put my queries to rest! Your fingers must be worn down to stubs, so it was good of you to report on your remedies. I am just today beginning to hand quilt a baby quilt for my newest grandson and would love to take it with me to visit him at the end of May. You give me hope that I might actually be close to finished by then. I hope your quilt wins lots of ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow--I think you must still be quilting in your sleep! Such great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive! I had no doubt you'd meet your deadline. I know how dedicated you can be! It was a beautiful top and will be a beautiful quilt when finished! Go, Julee!

    ReplyDelete